Truman's Press Release - Dropping the Atomic Bomb
Read Truman's press release announcing the dropping of the atomic bomb - note that is a three page document.
Answer the following questions:
- Who wrote this document?
- What is the purpose of this document?
- What date was this document issued?
- Why is the name of the city left out?
- Why does the atomic bomb's power have to be explained?
- Look at the last paragraph of the second page of the press release. What were Truman's plans for ending the war? Did he accomplish those goals in dropping the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Why or why not?
- On page three, Truman advocates the use of atomic power for world peace. How does he propose to fulfill this goal?
- What reasons does President Truman use to justify dropping the bomb? Do you agree with his reasons?