The Daily Pirate - Imperialism Edition
Your group's mission is to create an online version of the the Daily Pirate newspaper with a focus on U.S. Imperialism at the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century. The end result will be an online issue of the Daily Pirate that summarizes the United States' past and present involvement in these areas: China, Hawaii, Cuba, Philippines, Panama. You will find some links at the bottom of the assignment to get you started.
Form groups of four to six students. Each student should choose one of the following roles.
work starts on day one. There is no need to wait for content.
Multimedia Editor- takes requests from journalists to gather video, audio and photo relevant to teach topic. Record source of each file and prepare for publication. Catalog and share materials with your layout editor. Share materials with Layout and Design editor. Collect invidual emails from group and share with all group members.
Correspondents: Each group
will have one correspondent for the following countries/locations:
Each correspondent is responsible for answering the following questions in their individual articles. Do not simply answer the questions in order; instead, write informative articles in concise, journalistic style. Think newspaper writing NOT essay writing.
1) Where is their particular country located? This is a good opportunity for maps, links to Google Maps/Earth.
2) Why was this location valuable to the United States? Think in terms of economic, military and political reasons.
3. What steps did the United States take to "colonize" this location? Military, political, etc.
4. What was the immediate outcome for the location and population? Did they benefit or suffer from U.S. actions?
5. Who are the individuals involved: political, business, government, military, cultural? What were their roles?
6. What was the level of support for U.S. Imperialism among Americans?
7. What is the United States' current relationship with this location in 2007?
8. Providing a properly formatted bibliography of at least four sources to the layout editor. Wikipedia entries may be used for background research but not as sources.
Will this be homework
or class work?
How will we be graded?
PowerPoint or Dreamweaver?
If you choose PowerPoint then you need to learn how to create PowerPoint hyperlinks. Here's a good tutorial.